Community College Assistance
SASS provides college financial aid and other assistance to students who have passed the highest level English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) class taught at Sequoia District Adult School or have taken GED preparation classes at the Adult School and earned a GED. All aid is needs-based.
All SASS recipients meet community colleges’ low-income requirements for tuition waivers. The financial barrier they face is paying for books and transportation.
Here’s what SASS provides:
- Textbooks, which can cost several hundred dollars a semester.
- Bus passes (e.g. Clipper cards) for students who need to take the bus to college.
- Parking passes for students who drive to college.
- Tutoring by community volunteers who work one-on-one with students.
- Laptops for outstanding students.
GED Test Fees
The GED (General Educational Development) test is an alternative to a high-school diploma. The GED program at Sequoia District Adult School gives students who didn’t complete high school a second chance to earn a diploma. SASS pays the $140 GED test fees for these students.